Christchurch mosque attacks: Bangladesh Test cricket team escape mass shooting

Christchurch mosque attacks: Bangladesh Test cricket team escape mass shooting

Christchurch mosque attacks: Bangladesh Test cricket team escape mass shooting

They were due to play New Zealand in the third Test of their series but that match, due to start on Saturday at Canterbury's Hagley Oval, has been cancelled.

At least 49 people died in attacks on two mosques during Friday prayers in what appeared to be the worst assault on Muslims in a Western country.

Members of the Bangladesh cricket team have described how they had to run for safety after witnessing horrors "straight out of a movie scene" during the Christchurch terror attacks yesterday. The players and some support staffers were on their way to the Al Noor Mosque, less than a mile from Hagley Oval, when they saw signs of the unfolding carnage.

The attack led to a premature end to the Bangladesh cricket team's tour of New Zealand.

'Later we realised terror could come out an attack on us, they would get then lot of us in the bus and big incident would happen, then we all made a decision to leave the bus, ' Mashud said.

BCB president Nazmul Hassan said: "The players are still in a traumatic state".

Multiple people have been killed after a gunman opened fire at two mosques in New Zealand, sparking a hunt for an "active" shooter in the South Island town of Christchurch.

"The Bangladesh team may have prayed at the same mosque before but I don't think they were the target", he underscored. "We ask all mosques nationally to shut their doors, and advise that people refrain from visiting these premises until further notice". At this point I still have no idea what actually has happened; I don't even know if the team was the target of the attack. The test match in Christchurch was the first to be canceled since 2002, when a match between Pakistan and New Zealand in Karachi was called off after a terrorist bombing in the city.

More news: Google's Call Screen beta hits Pixel devices in Canada

Team performance analyst Shrinivas Chandrasekeran, on Twitter, said "Just escaped active shooters".

New Zealand Cricket CEO David White has announced that the game between New Zealand and Bangladesh had been called off as a result of the attacks. 'I've spoken to my counterpart at Bangladesh cricket - we agree it's inappropriate to play cricket at this time.

Bangladesh's strength and conditioning coach, Mario Villavarayen also shared team's experience in one of the deadliest attacks in New Zealand.

New Zealand Police have stormed the area and are urging anyone in the area to stay indoors. Team manager Khaled Mashud told espncricinfo.com the players had a lucky escape.

New Zealand cricketer Jimmy Neesham expressed a similar sense of shock and loss on Twitter.

Bangladesh Cricket Board spokesman Jalal Yunus said most of the team were bussed to the mosque in Christchurch and were about to go inside for Friday prayers when the incident happened.

"We are shocked and appalled as I'm sure all New Zealanders are".

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]