NYTimes: Saudi Crown Prince Had Threatened to Use 'Bullet' on Khashoggi

NYTimes: Saudi Crown Prince Had Threatened to Use 'Bullet' on Khashoggi

NYTimes: Saudi Crown Prince Had Threatened to Use 'Bullet' on Khashoggi

US intelligence agencies believe Crown Prince Mohammed ordered an operation to kill Mr. Khashoggi, a critic and Washington Post columnist, and say his body was dismembered and removed to a location still publicly unknown.

Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist who wrote critically about Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was killed inside the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul on October 2.

The prince suggested that if Khashoggi did not willingly return to Saudi Arabia, he might have to be brought back forcibly, the Times reported. The state of Saudi vehemently denies any involvement of the Crown Prince in the murder, instead blaming "rogue elements" who had acted of their own accord.

Saudi Arabia has previously denied Turkey's extradition request for the 11 suspects.

Separately on Thursday, a United Nations-led inquiry into Khashoggi's murder said that evidence pointed to a brutal crime "planned and perpetrated" by Saudi officials.

"For anyone to think that they can dictate what we should do, what our leadership should do, is preposterous", al-Jubeir said.

Ignoring calls from lawmakers on both sides of the aisle, President Trump has remained in Saudi Arabia's corner, primarily due to a hefty economic deal between the two countries.

More news: Acting Attorney General Whitaker battles angry lawmakers at hearing

The WhatsApp messages between MBS and Qahtani, who is believed to have overseen the team that killed Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, was one piece of evidence cited in the Central Intelligence Agency assessment.

The outlet added that the conversation took place the same month as Khashoggi began writing his articles, criticizing the Saudi authorities, for The Washington Post.

"President Trump himself has said repeatedly to the extent we continue to develop facts that implicate others in the awful act ... we will continue to hold all the people connected to it accountable", Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in an interview Wednesday with the Fox Business Network.

Cengiz refused to comment on the accusations against the crown prince, saying only that she awaited the completion of Turkey's investigation.

The discovery of the crown prince's statement was made as the National Security Agency and other US spy agencies are reviewing years of intercepted Saudi voice and text communications.

The "complete lack of transparency" from Saudi officials on the investigation into the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi is deeply concerning and detrimental to their credibility, President Erdogan's aide said. "We know this was not authorised operation...it is a horrific crime and the whole country is outraged by this crime", he said.

"I have hope, not necessarily regarding Trump, but about the fact that the new Congress will follow this case more closely", she said.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]