White House narrows search for anonymous op-ed writer

White House narrows search for anonymous op-ed writer

White House narrows search for anonymous op-ed writer

The New York Times recently published an op-ed titled "I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration".

"We're going to take a look at what he had, what he gave, what he's talking about, also where he is right now", Mr Trump said during a flight from Billings, Montana, to Fargo, North Dakota. Sessions "should be investigating who the author of that piece was because I really believe it's national security".

7 that Attorney General Jeff Sessions should investigate the identity of the author of an anonymous editorial claiming they were part of a network of government officials working covertly to thwart parts of Trump's agenda.

President Donald Trump declared Friday the Department of Justice should try to identify the writer of a bitingly critical New York Times opinion piece, purportedly submitted by a member of an administration "resistance" movement straining to thwart his most unsafe impulses. They can say something about you - now when we find out that this is a failed person in so many different ways you can fight it back very easily.

A top Trump administration economist told Yahoo Finance that the anonymous op-ed by a senior official in the Trump administration and published by the New York Times "might be a fraud".

The president has questioned whether the publication of the article was an act of treason.

More than 25 high-ranking Trump administration officials have come out publicly denying having penned the op-ed, including Vice President Mike Pence, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats and Defence Secretary James Mattis, CNN reported. "They're not doing us a favor by actively promoting 90% of the insane stuff coming out of this White House and saying, 'Don't worry, we're preventing the other 10%'".

"During a speech to students at the University of IL, the former president urged people against feeling comforted by the op-ed".

More news: White House Responds to Woodward Book

Reports on Saturday say the White House said the president has narrowed down the list of suspects to about five names.

US District Judge Randolph Moss sentenced foreign policy aide George Papadopoulos to 14 days in prison, acknowledging his guilty plea and his remorse, but noting that he "lied in an investigation that was important to national security".

"I see no basis for any legitimate referral for an investigation by DoJ", said Patrick Cotter, a former federal prosecutor.

President Donald Trump's reaction was a combination of rage and self-pity.

Drawing on hundreds of hours of interviews, the respected White House chronicler describes a coalition of like-minded aides plotting to prevent the president from destroying the world trade system, undermining national security and sparking wars.

No classified information appears to have been revealed by the anonymous op-ed author. Ditto Trump's attempts to make nice with Russian Federation, which the author said steady hands in the bureaucracy have undermined.

The Justice Department was asked about Trump's comments on Friday and told NPR that it does not confirm or deny investigations.

"No, Dir. Mulvaney is not the author", a spokesperson for Mulvaney told NBC News.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]