Russian fighter jets and Syrian barrel bombs pound Idlib province

Russian fighter jets and Syrian barrel bombs pound Idlib province

Russian fighter jets and Syrian barrel bombs pound Idlib province

It is the last major rebel-held area in Syria and government forces, backed by Russian Federation, are poised to attack.

But Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan does not support plans to launch an attack on Idlib and called for a ceasefire.

Idlib's fall to the Assad regime would effectively signal the end of a civil war that has already killed almost half a million people, devastated the country, and forced half its population to flee their homes. Turkey, which backed opposition forces against Mr. Assad, fears a flood of refugees fleeing a military offensive and destabilising areas it now holds in Syria. Previously, Trump "resisted significant involvement" in the Syrian civil war "even as both Iran and Russian Federation increased their influence", notes the Post.

Erdogan, speaking at a summit in Tehran on Friday between Turkey, Iran and Russian Federation, urged the other leaders to support his call for an immediate cease-fire in the northwestern province of Idlib.

An estimated half a million people have died in the Syrian conflict since March 2011 and 12 million more have fled their homes to seek refuge inside the country or overseas.

Those Syrian ground troops would be backed by Russian aircraft as well as military logistics and elite forces provided by Syria's other major ally, Iran.

"The U.S. has been very clear" in its warnings against Syria, Haley said.

On Monday, Trump tweeted: "President Bashar al-Assad of Syria must not recklessly attack Idlib Province".

More news: Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Bryson DeChambeau picked for US Ryder Cup team

Several people have been killed in Syria after government and Russian forces bombed the edge of the rebel-held Idlib province, rescue workers and a monitoring group have said.

"There's lots of evidence that chemical weapons are being prepared", Jeffrey told reporters Thursday.

It was the heaviest bombardment since August 10, when at least 53 civilians were killed in Idlib and the neighbouring province of Aleppo, he said.

Marine General Joseph Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said no decision had been made by the United States to employ military force in response to a future chemical attack in Syria. While Idlib is expected to top the agenda, the trio are also expected to discuss mechanisms for minimizing the impact of U.S. financial pressure.

Erdogan, in his opening remarks, said a ceasefire in Idlib would be a victory for their summit.

The United Nations envoy to Syria optimistically interpreted the "signals" from Tehran as indicating Russia, Turkey, and Iran are still looking for a way to avoid bloodshed in Idlib.

Each of the three nations has its own interests in the years-long war in Syria. Idlib is the last opportunity for the U.S. to increase leverage in Syria, he said, and if the province falls before the Geneva talks, Trump administration efforts to re-engage with peace talks will likely fail. However, the Post article itself admits that 14,000 fighters in Idlib are linked to al-Qaeda, though the figure is likely much higher.

President Donald Trump destroys USA credibility while Iran is working toward a political solution in Syria, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said in a Twitter post on Friday. In July, Boltonhad foreshadowed the shift of the administration's Syria policy when he stated during an interview on ABC's Next Week with George Stephanopoulos that the US troops would remain in Syria indefinitely "as long as the Iranian menace continues throughout the Middle East".

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]