Man in LA standoff arrested on murder charge

Man in LA standoff arrested on murder charge

Man in LA standoff arrested on murder charge

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti tweeted about the incident, telling people "to steer clear" of the store.

"Our hearts are broken over what happened today". The chase ended in the suspect crashing into a pole outside the Trader Joe's. Trader Joe's provided an updated statement to the incident, stating the store would be closed until further notice. This has been an incredible trauma, and our thoughts are with our Crew Members and customers. "Our focus is on doing whatever we can to support them at this time", it added. "We appreciate everything Los Angeles law enforcement did to ensure an end to this ordeal". Some said they had hidden in employee areas in the back of the store. Moore said at about 1:30 p.m. the suspect shot his grandmother and another woman in a South Los Angeles home and then forced the other woman into his grandmother's vehicle.

He then "fled the location in his grandmother's vehicle, taking the female victim with him", the Los Angeles police spokesman said. The grandmother was listed in critical condition.

The incident grabbed the attention of US President Donald Trump who sent out a tweet shortly after the reported hostage situation began.

A card for Trader Joe's employee Melyda Corado, who was shot and killed a day earlier at the store by a suspect being chased by police, hangs at a makeshift memorial, outside the Los Feliz Trader Joe's supermarket in Los Angeles July 22, 2018.

"Our officers rescued that woman and attempted to render aid with the assistance of LA fire and unfortunately were unable to revive her".

The gunman exchanged fire with police and was struck in his left arm before running inside the store, police said.

More news: Tongue-lashings from North Korea's Kim underscore shift in focus to economy

Customers ran out of the store when the armed man burst in.

A woman at a supermarket across the street said people inside heard the gunfire and that everyone dived to the floor.

Five hostages were freed as the suspect walked out of the store in handcuffs, according to eyewitnesses. It was unclear if she died from police gunfire or was killed by the gunman.

Employees and customers inside scrambled for cover, they said later. Police were seen carrying several children away from the building. The second woman injured by the gunman suffered a relatively minor head wound and was in good condition, he said.

Atkins never grew violent toward his grandmother before, Egland said, but she started to grow concerned about him over the last several weeks because he seemed upset and distant. One employee was killed and as many as 50 people were trapped or held hostage in the store for about three hours. He was taken into custody. Police were able to locate the suspect via LoJack technology. It's believed the woman may be the suspect's girlfriend.

Police are still investigating the initial shooting, which took place in the Newton Division. He was driving her vehicle when he wrecked it near the Trader Joe's.

Montgomery said Hollywood officers attempted to pull the suspect over but he opened fire during a pursuit.

Related news

[an error occurred while processing the directive]