Thailand rescue: 4 more boys brought out of flooded cave

Thailand rescue: 4 more boys brought out of flooded cave

Thailand rescue: 4 more boys brought out of flooded cave

On June 23, a Thai soccer team (aged 11-16) and their coach became stranded in the Tham Luang underground caves they were exploring, when severe rains sealed off their escape route.

The fate of the boys and their coach has gripped Thailand and drawn worldwide media attention.

The Thai navy SEAL unit, which has been overseeing the rescue, later confirmed on its Facebook page that the total number of boys brought out was eight.

Thailand Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda said that the boys, who have been hospitalised, were "strong and safe" but needed a medical checkup.

Dive teams in Thailand rescued four more boys from a flooded jungle cave Monday and were confident they will also be able to save the remaining four boys and their adult soccer coach still trapped in the cavern. The diver, the first fatality of the rescue effort, was working in a volunteer capacity and died on a mission to place air canisters along the passage to where the boys are, necessary for divers to safely travel the five- to six-hour route.

"The water level is low".

Four boys were successfully rescued from the Tham Laung cave area on Sunday in a delicate and lengthy operation. It takes the divers about eight hours to get into the cave, reach the boys, and bring them back out.

The boys have been brought out in pairs, each guided by two expert divers.

Australia's foreign minister says 19 Australian personnel are involved in the Thailand cave rescue operation including a doctor who's played an essential part in assessing which boys can leave and in what order.

More news: Iran considers Europe's offer to salvage nuclear agreement insufficient

A heavy but brief downpour hit the area Monday morning, but authorities said that did not change the water level in the cave, as workers continue to pump water out.

Shortly after, ambulances were seen racing toward the nearby city of Chiang Rai down roads that had been cleared of traffic to smooth the journey.

Thailand's Meteorological Department said there was a 60 percent chance of rain Monday with thunderstorms forecast throughout the week.

Authorities continued to refuse to release details about the identities or conditions of the four who had escaped. If the tests are successful, the sub would be placed on a 17-hour flight to Thailand.

The first kilometer is the hardest, CNN explains, as that's where the children have to navigate a narrow flooded channel. With the assistance of divers, they swam out with oxygen tanks, along a 2-mile long rope guiding them out.

Late Sunday, nine hours after they entered the cave, elite divers emerged carrying four of the teenage boys who were quickly transferred to waiting ambulances. They are then taken to hospital in Chiang Rai.

But with oxygen levels inside dropping to risky lows and the prospect of heavy rains flooding the area completely, authorities decided they had to move quickly and take the group out through the water-filled tunnels.

Narongsak said the first four rescued boys had not been identified out of respect for the families whose sons were still trapped, adding that the boys were being kept away from their parents due to fear of infection.

Related news

[an error occurred while processing the directive]