Four Boys Freed From Cave, Rescue Efforts To Resume Later

Four Boys Freed From Cave, Rescue Efforts To Resume Later

Four Boys Freed From Cave, Rescue Efforts To Resume Later

The first four of 12 boys and their soccer coach trapped in a cave in northern Thailand for more than two weeks have been rescued, the leader of the mission announced Sunday as an ambulance carrying one of the boys pulled up at a nearby medical center.

"They will be kept away from their parents for a while because we are concerned about infections", Chiang Rai provincial Gov. Narongsak Osatanakorn said at a news conference about the boys who were rescued on Sunday.

Narongsak did not talk about the health of the rescued boys, but he did say the extraction went better than expected.

The team of 18 divers entering the cave have budgeted 11 hours for each rescue attempt to get the boys out-five hours to get there and six hours to get the boys out, with a one-hour rest. Except there was a suggestion today from one of the officials that the boys who came out today were some of the stronger ones, so it might take a little bit longer with the next group, yeah?

Narongsak had dubbed Sunday to be "D-day" as the complicated effort was launched in the morning.

Local media are reporting that the first two boys were pulled out an hour ago.

Some took time on Sunday to pay tribute to Saman Gunan, a Thai Navy SEAL who died while trying to ensure the boys had enough oxygen.

More news: British government plunged into fresh chaos as Brexit ministers resign

He also told reporters divers need to place more air canisters along the underwater route to where the boys and their coach have been trapped. Those conditions won't last if the rain resumes, he said.

Mercifully, predicted downfalls have so far either avoided the area or have not caused water levels in the cave to rise. The potential for rising water and the dwindling oxygen levels added to the urgency of getting the team out.

A source at the Chiang Rai hospital said that five emergency response doctors were awaiting the boys and a further 30 doctors were on stand-by. The rescue operation began shortly after they went missing but it took teams days to find the group. A search led by Thai navy SEALs and joined by volunteer divers from around the world was fruitless until Monday, when a pair of British divers came up on the hungry but apparently healthy team.

The Wild Boars and their coach became trapped on June 23 when they set out to explore the vast cave complex after soccer practice, when a rainy season downpour flooded the tunnels. Monsoon flooding cut off their escape and prevented rescuers from finding them for nearly 10 days.

Thai rescuers are being assisted by an worldwide team comprising experts from China, Australia, the United States and Britain.

On Sunday, Musk posted photos and video of the "kid-size submarine" his team was testing in LA.

And remember - a lot of this cave is still flooded, which means some treacherous conditions for novice divers, like these boys are, even though they're being shepherded by two divers each, and there are ropes to guide them along the way.

Related news

[an error occurred while processing the directive]