Second Test marred by ball-change controversy

Second Test marred by ball-change controversy

Second Test marred by ball-change controversy

After a 90 minute delay, the players agreed to take the field but there had been some miscommunication on the five runs being added to West Indies total and that led to captain Dinesh Chandimal withdrawing the team again.

The umpires had also levelled a penalty of five runs against Sri Lanka 10 minutes before the start of the play on Day 3, and chose to change the ball.

The start of play yesterday was delayed until 10:50 am when the Sri Lanka players took the field along with the Windies batsmen, only for the visitors to walk off before a ball was bowled.

"The ICC can confirm the match officials in the second Test between West Indies and Sri Lanka changed the ball and awarded 5 penalty runs to West Indies", the ICC said in a statement.

Sri Lanka Cricket released a statement saying its players "have not engaged in any wrongdoing" and that the team had taken to the field "under protest".

The ICC's ruling comes following a standoff between Chandimal's Sri Lankan side and the officials on day three of the Test.

More news: Manchester City start defence of title against Arsenal

It was communication with the team's board in Colombo which finally persuaded Chandimal and his men to continue with the match.

"If there are any, Code of Conduct charges will follow as per usual at close of play", tweeted the ICC.

Australian opener Cameron Bancroft was hit with the same charge for his now infamous use of sandpaper that sparked one of the biggest controversies in cricket history in the third Test against South Africa in Cape Town in March.

Steve Smith, along with David Warner, was handed a one-year ban from both domestic and worldwide cricket by Cricket Australia while batsman Bancroft was handed a nine-month suspension for their involvement in the incident.

The Pakistanis did not return to the field after tea on the fourth day and the umpires deemed this to mean they had forfeited the match, even though Pakistan later said they were willing to play.

Shannon Gabriel claimed an early wicket in the Sri Lanka second innings when Kusal Perera fell to a catch by Dowrich in the penultimate over of the day before the tourists ended the day on 34-1.

Related news

[an error occurred while processing the directive]